Skip to main content

Charlie, Veterans Day


My uncle Charlie was more or less adopted by my father and mother when he was 10 years old, and he came to live in my father’s house.

My father had been asking my mother several times to marry him. Each time she had put off answering him. One day, he brought along a calendar with him.

“Rose,” he said, “I want you to pick a day on this calendar when we can be married, and I will come again next week. If you have not marked off a day, I will not ask you again.”

My mother, at sixteen, was a governess for a wealthy family in Suffield, Connecticut, and she was living on their property. Immediately, she rushed off to seek advice from the lady of the house, who was more often inclined to seek advice from her.

“What should I do?”

“Rose, marry him.”

When next he came, days were marked off. My father asked her, “Rose, why did it take you so long? Was it me?”

It was not him. She used to say of him he was the best catch in town.

This is what she told my father: “When my mother was dying of cancer, she called me into her room and said, ‘Rosa, will you do something for me?’ I said, ‘Of course, mama.’ She said, ‘Take care of Charlie,’" the youngest of her sons. “And I didn’t want this to be a burden for you,” she confessed.

My father was relieved. “Rosalie” – his love name for her – “Charlie will come and live with us.” And he did.

When my father died, Charlie drew me aside and said, “He was my father too.” And he was.

Charlie and other of his brothers went off to war. He had a harrowing assignment. Charlie was helping engineers build airfields, sometimes under fire, in the Pacific, and also retrieving and burying Americans lost in battle, a gruesome task. At war's end when he came home, Charlie was sick. My father picked him up at the airport. He burrowed into my father’s house and refused to go out, even to keep a date with Mary, his pre-war sweetheart, whom he later married.

My mother knew something had to be done. On one of her trips to the store nearby where she bought her groceries, she asked the owner of the store to hire her brother.

“Of course, Rose.”

“You are going to work,” she told Charlie.

“No.”

“Yes.”

He could not refuse her. Gradually, the gentle touch of time eased Charlie back into his old familiar routines. He married the woman who was in his heart during his war service, had children, lived with gusto the American dream. It was  to honor Charlie and my wife's father, who served in four separate branches of the military, that we visited military cemeteries in every European country to which we traveled -- in Italy, in France, in England -- always kept in pristine condition by a Europe that could not forget people like Charlie. Their gratitude touched the white and glowing sun-washed stones in military cemeteries throughout Europe, where brave young men fought and died; they shone in the sun like a constellation of bright stars. Neither Andree nor I will forget them -- or Charlie. To remember one who has died, the philosopher says, is a prayer.

I visited Charlie before he died. I owe him a great deal. It was because of him I took an interest in history and writing. He was a voracious reader of history, very intelligent. He knew he was dying.

“I just want people to know,” he said to me, “that I was a stand-up guy.”

I stroked his hair and told him that everyone who mattered already knew that.

Every Veterans Day, I think of Charlie and my other uncles, Ray, Johnny and Tommy – all gone now -- who served in what General Patton called The Great War. I recall the terrible burden Charlie carried in silence, how he loved and respected his sister, my father, Mary – the love of his life – his children, a strong and modest man. With gratitude and love, I remember the great sacrifices he made for everyone, and what a stand-up soldier he was.





Comments

MrsL9512 said…
So touching, Don. I will pray for Charlie, all your uncles, the love of my life, Joe, who was a paratrooper in Korea, all military who protect our freedom, as well as you, my patriot. May God bless all and make our country sane again.

Please repost this again on Independence Day. It should touch everyone's heart, like it did mine.


Pat Longo said…
Take the time to read this, folks. Pay attention to what is happening to our country. This is serious. Fight for traditional culture. The crazies are in charge and the GOP does not fight back. Don Pesci is a godsend. Read the words of this very thoughtful and intelligent man who does our thinking for us on so many issues.
Jen said…
So beautiful Donald! I miss Uncle Charlie, Aunt Mary, all my Grandparents, my great aunts and uncles, Lisa, Uncle Dick, Joan... we had quite a squad. We are very blessed.I remember the numerous mornings throughout my life when I would come downstairs, uncle Charlie and my dad sitting at the kitchen table and Charlie’s morning salutation to me “Jen, how is it? Lousy, huh?” And that Mandrola laugh!!! Thank you💗

Popular posts from this blog

The Blumenthal Burisma Connection

Steve Hilton , a Fox News commentator who over the weekend had connected some Burisma corruption dots, had this to say about Connecticut U.S. Senator Dick Blumenthal’s association with the tangled knot of corruption in Ukraine: “We cross-referenced the Senate co-sponsors of Ed Markey's Ukraine gas bill with the list of Democrats whom Burisma lobbyist, David Leiter, routinely gave money to and found another one -- one of the most sanctimonious of them all, actually -- Sen. Richard Blumenthal."

Powell, the JI, And Economic literacy

Powell, Pesci Substack The Journal Inquirer (JI), one of the last independent newspapers in Connecticut, is now a part of the Hearst Media chain. Hearst has been growing by leaps and bounds in the state during the last decade. At the same time, many newspapers in Connecticut have shrunk in size, the result, some people seem to think, of ad revenue smaller newspapers have lost to internet sites and a declining newspaper reading public. Surviving papers are now seeking to recover the lost revenue by erecting “pay walls.” Like most besieged businesses, newspapers also are attempting to recoup lost revenue through staff reductions, reductions in the size of the product – both candy bars and newspapers are much smaller than they had been in the past – and sell-offs to larger chains that operate according to the social Darwinian principles of monopolistic “red in tooth and claw” giant corporations. The first principle of the successful mega-firm is: Buy out your predator before he swallows

Down The Rabbit Hole, A Book Review

Down the Rabbit Hole How the Culture of Corrections Encourages Crime by Brent McCall & Michael Liebowitz Available at Amazon Price: $12.95/softcover, 337 pages   “ Down the Rabbit Hole: How the Culture of Corrections Encourages Crime ,” a penological eye-opener, is written by two Connecticut prisoners, Brent McCall and Michael Liebowitz. Their book is an analytical work, not merely a page-turner prison drama, and it provides serious answers to the question: Why is reoffending a more likely outcome than rehabilitation in the wake of a prison sentence? The multiple answers to this central question are not at all obvious. Before picking up the book, the reader would be well advised to shed his preconceptions and also slough off the highly misleading claims of prison officials concerning the efficacy of programs developed by dusty old experts who have never had an honest discussion with a real convict. Some of the experts are more convincing cons than the cons, p